Sunday, January 07, 2007

Challenge 4 Polystyrene Tray





My inspiration totally deserted me for challenge 3, sorry!

So moving swiftly onto challenge 4. Polystyrene pizza trays are great for making very simple printing plates.

I used a "dead" cheap bic type biro andthe end of a pencil to indent my pattern into the first block, I then used acrylic paint to print onto the second block which I etched in the same way. Using this method its unusual to be able to get fine detail, and mistakes are hard to fix. You can use a soldering iron or stencil cutter, I wouldn't recommend this unless you use a respirator.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I like the primitive look. Nice effect and thanks for the explanation. I've been putting off this challenge, you've inspired me (hopefully to action!)

6:00 pm  
Blogger Lara Lorelei said...

Thanks Kim, I'm pleased to hear you're inspired!

I put a couple more ideas on the group, I'm sure there are other ways the polystyrene can be used apart from these ideas.

Claire

6:51 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

I like these a lot, interesting to see the different effects using various media. Am trying something other than prints for my own attempt, not sure it will work though!

12:32 pm  
Blogger Katrina said...

I love your prints, its amazing how much detail you can get.

1:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home