Friday, March 09, 2007

Challenge #5 - Kim




Itzamna

For this challenge I decided to create my own interpretation of the Maya God Itzamna - the Lord of the Heavens, of Night and of Day. He was the founder of the Mayan culture and his attributes includes having a big nose and snakes. I gave him a head of beaded snakes and good sized nose. In dressing him I used fabric I created in Challenge #4.

To create his head I wrapped polymer clay around a ball of aluminum. Inside the aluminum ball was a loop of wire that I had attached eight "hairpins" of wire. Making sure that these pins were evenly spaced coming out of the aluminum ball was a little tedious but it created the look I wanted. Before I baked the head, I added orange and red curls and pressed some seed beads into the clay. After baking the clay I strung the seed beads onto the wires and colored his face.




I've had this polymer clay in a craft drawer for easily a dozen years. I was really surprised that it was still good. I guess stuff like that can last forever!

6 Comments:

Blogger Artygal/Lalheg said...

Oh the work in this! I think you and Jill may have things in common - she makes wonderful dolls and doll images, which to my untutored eye, look as though they are in the same vein

8:30 am  
Blogger Jill said...

I love this Kim...the intricacy of the work - amazing and the result is stunning - very appealing to me :)

10:13 am  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Mmm wonderful, you obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this and it shows. I'm impressed!

10:54 am  
Blogger Alis Clair said...

He is just fabulous.
Hugs, Alis

9:03 am  
Blogger Katrina said...

Wow, Kim he is stunning and a little scary all at the same time, I am so so so scared of snakes. All the work you put in to him too, what a great piece.

7:00 pm  
Blogger Mauricio said...

Hello from Brazil!

Nice blog and nice artwork!

Congrats for everyone.

1:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home