Thursday, October 26, 2006

Kim's Challenge 2



Backyard Sun Ornament


Here's my Challenge 2 drawing. A view out my dining room of a sun ornament that hangs on the fence. The blueberry bush in front of the fence is brusting with red leaves - when the afternoon sun hits it, it looks as though it is on fire. In the foreground is a stand of Siberian Irises, the blooms gone since August, the leaves are turning yellow. My husbands was going to chop the leaves down I had him wait till after I finished this drawing. I used an HB pencil (frustrating given all the rich color I was looking at) and found it difficult to get dark values. It took some time to get started on this challenge, blank white paper can be quite intimidating, but I'm satisfied with the results (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Lovely job, Kim, I get a real sense of the time of year and of the life in that spot. You have captured the various tones very well.

I can just imagine how super it would be in colour - Love it!

hugs,
kari x

10:00 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks Kari. It's funny, the more removed I am from this drawing the more I appreciate it.

8:02 am  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Great sense of place, love this! So pleased you managed to overcome your fear of drawing ;)

11:02 am  
Blogger Artygal/Lalheg said...

sighing with happiness here - I feel like I'm in your yard

4:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home