Friday, October 27, 2006

Challenge 2: Linda's drawing

Over the last few months I've been drawing on a fairly regular basis in an effort to improve my drawing skills and tackle subjects that I would have previously ignored completely. So this challenge wasn't as difficult for me as for some of the others in the group.

However, I've been drawing with pen, not pencil, using cross-hatching etc to show tone and shadow. Also I am not, and have never been, good at complex subjects, perspective and proportions. So for this challenge I decided to push myself. After a suggestion from someone on the group (thank you!) I chose to draw my theme, my back yard, from an upstairs window. This is the result. The tones are fairly accurate, but some of the proportions are still not right, despite my attempts to correct them. However, overall I'm pleased with the drawing and enjoyed working in HB pencil - may do more :)

8 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Wow! this is brill (grin) a lot of famous artists have drawn the view from an upstairs window and it is something I have tried to do in every place I have ever lived.

I love the view from above like this and, again, you have the tones captured beautifully. Well done, getting those difficult perspectives right too.

hugs,
Kari x

12:59 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

Well done Linda! I agree with Kari's comment. And, of course, I love the chair. \0/

5:22 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Lol!
Thank you both, I enjoyed myself, I may try drawing from my front window sometime now that I've taken the plunge and looked down!!!

9:38 pm  
Blogger emhowl said...

I am so impressed, Linda.

10:03 pm  
Blogger Artygal/Lalheg said...

Oh my blooming word - tour de force!

4:30 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Lo, thank you ;)

12:04 pm  
Blogger Katrina said...

Wow Linda its beautiful !!

2:34 pm  
Blogger Linda D. said...

Aw, thanks :)

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home